photo TesorosBannerP_zps048bcf0c.jpg

Author Topic: Oophaga Charco la pava 18 x 18 x 24 build thread  (Read 2102 times)

Offline oddlot

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Frog Member
  • Liked: 96
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Oophaga Charco la pava 18 x 18 x 24 build thread
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »
This is going to be the future home of my Oophaga Charco La Pava.I came up with some cool ideas in this build.I don't know why,but I never seen this done before or spoken about,so hopefully,I have an idea that will change things a little bit.It does for my future builds any way.I had gotten a screaming deal on a bunch of exos from a buddy of mine.This build is an 18 x 18 x 24.I had to dismantle Razor scrape and sanitize it to even get started.Here is the tank with a large bulkhead for easy draining.

Here is the idea I was talking about.I mounted 10 film cans into the thick cork slabs I used for my background and in the cork tube.I found that a 1 1/4'' paddle bit is the perfect size to fit a film can.Tell me what you think.

Lou

Offline oddlot

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Frog Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oophaga Charco la pava 18 x 18 x 24 build thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:59 AM »
Next step,mount my orchids and epiphytes.

Added a film canned cork tube

I mounted some epiphytes to the tube and added a handful of broms

Lou

Offline oddlot

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Frog Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »
There has been 3 types of springs and 4 types of isos heavily seeded so far,and 2 gallons of crushed regular magnolia leaves to start the leaf layers.

This is pretty much done and will be ready and waiting for it's new inhabitants.I may plant a few terrestrial plants and I definitely will adding more leaf litter after I decide if I want to plant anything on the ground,I will update pics when I do.
Lou

Offline markpulawski

• Tadpole
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
Lou will you pack all of those cork bark edges with sphagnum to keep the frogs from getting behind it? It's amazing how little of a hole frogs can find in backgrounds to somehow escape behind them, then when you break the tank down because you are convinced they are dead you find them both fat and happy in a little hole in the sphag behind the bark

Offline oddlot

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Frog Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:11 AM »
Mark,I thought about it,but decided that I will probably leave it be.I purposely left a nice opening on the bottom right behind the Cranberry plant which would make it easier for them to get behind it if they wanted to.If it were for smaller shy frogs I may have done the moss  in the edges.I know for some reason some people fill their corktubes with great stuff too,but I feel if they want to hide and easily can, than they will be more comfortable.I'm cool if they don't want to be out all the time.As you know I have quite a few Pumilio (the ryans and escudo are doing great by the way  ;)),so there is always pumilio to look at here.Most of the ones I have are very bold anyway though.With the size of the tank and the hides they will have,I don't think they will want to hide.I may add a plant or two and a pile of leaf litter before they go in there.The microfauna are exploding so they will have plenty of snacks to keep them on the prowl too.
Lou

photo NAEBanner_zpsdb7c79f7.jpg